75% lighter than steel and only two thirds the weight of Aluminum, Magnesium is an outstanding substrate option for a wide variety of industrial, scientific and consumer product uses.
A number of forming technologies are used in creating Magnesium parts. Die casting and thixo-molding Magnesium parts can generate thin walls and intricate geometries, permitting designers greater freedom to create unique and useful components. Machined Magnesium is an excellent alternative to aluminum for housings, covers and structural components where weight reduction is critical.
Magnesium’s high strength to weight ratio makes it a cost competitive alternative to both Titanium and Aluminum, especially for structural components and where mass/weight reduction is an important consideration.
Magnesium has the highest known damping capacity of any structural metal, capable of withstanding 10x more than aluminum, titanium, or steel. This makes Magnesium an excellent choice for applications requiring suppressing vibration for the control of noise and for the stability of sensitive systems and instruments.
Compared to Aluminum, Magnesium’s lower working temperature and higher machinability reduces both energy consumption and extends the life of dies and machine tools.
AOTCO has a dedicated Magnesium team to help our clients understand the opportunities this substrate represents.
Benefits of Plating on Magnesium
- Excellent formability
- Capable of thin walls and intricate geometries
- Outstanding damping capacity
- Cost efficient
- High Strength to weight ratio
- Easy machinability
- Can be injection molded (thixomolding)
- Beautiful aesthetic appearance
Industry Applications | Plating on Magnesium
- Handheld devices requiring EMI/RIF shielding
- Satellite components
- Vibration averse systems and instruments
- Heat sinks
- Spacecraft and rovers
- Laptop computers
- Materials Handling
AOTCO Plating on Primary Magnesium Alloys
- AM 60 (thixomolded)0
- AZ 31 (wrought)
- ZK 60 (wrought)
- AZ 91 (thixomolded, high pressure die castings)
- Various other alloys with aluminum, zinc, and manganese
- Please contact us to discuss your specific alloy
Magnesium Physical Properties & Specs
- Aesthetic Appearance:
- Finishes - Either matte or bright luster
Magnesium Metal Plating Processes
AOTCO begins with an in-depth cleaning process, followed by depositing electroless nickel. After the nickel is in place, AOTCO can plate ANY of our processes onto the nickel substrate, including:
- Electrolytic Nickel
- Electroless Nickel
- Mechanical Cleaning
- Custom Masking
- Chemical Films
- Laser Marking
- Chemical Films
- Magnesium is chemically highly active so chemical and corrosion resistance tends to be low in the absence of a protective coating.
- Please contacts AOTCO for help determining which coating best matches your particular needs
Depending on your end goals Plating on Magnesium could be an excellent option to consider for your finished parts. If you have a unique part, specialized needs or simply want to work with the best, please reach out and let us know how we can help you achieve the results you need.